|“Vipakshaye Virodhaya” today|
Main UNP and other opposition parties to sign agreement
The memorandum of understanding between the United National Party(UNP) and several other opposition parties which are in the process of joining together is to be signed today(11th of February)at the New Town Hall.
The parties that have agreed to sign the agreement are as follows:
- UNP under the leadership of Ranil Wickremesinghe.
- Tamil National alliance led by R Sambandan
- Nava sama samaja party under the leadership of Dr. Wickremabahu Karunaratne
- Democratic national Front led by Mano Ganeshan
- United socialist party led by Siritunge Jayasooriya
- Nava Sihala urumaya led by Sarath Manamendraarachchi
- Ruhunu Janatha party led by Aruna Soysa
- Mawbima Janatha Front led by Hemakumara Nanayakkara
- Muslim Tamil national alliance led by Azad Sally
- United national front led by Sirimasiri Hapuarachchi
The JVP and the Democratic National Alliance, led by General Sarath Fonseka, have been left out of the new front.
“We have been working with the JVP on several occasions and we will be talking to them and the DNA at a later date,” UNP General Secretary Tissa Attanayake said.
“The common front will conduct a series of meetings on a countrywide basis to keep the masses informed of the shortcomings of the government and we are confident that a considerable opposition against the government would be built by the end of 2013,” Tissa Attanayake remarked.